Commissioner Vacancy – Seeking Candidates
Now that the November election results have been certified, the LIHD is seeking candidates interested in filling what will be an open seat on the Board of Commissioners as of January 2022. The vacancy will result from the fact that one of the candidates on the ballot, Karen Hattman, had chosen to remove her name from consideration prior to the election but after the date it could be removed from the ballot. To avoid any conflict of interest, a requirement for any elected official is that they not work for an entity that is subsidized by the entity they are representing. While we are fortunate to have Karen’s expertise at the UW Medicine Lopez Island Clinic, her ongoing employment with the Clinic makes her ineligible to accept the seat. That said, Karen will be able to contribute to the LIHD via participation in other ways, and we look forward to her contributions.
The term of this interim appointment will be from the date approved by the Board, likely at the first meeting in January 2022, and will run through December 31, 2023. The permanent seat will be filled during the November 2023 election, and the elected individual will serve the balance of the term from January 1, 2024 through December 31, 2025.
The LIHD is committed to fostering a collaborative environment whereby Commissioners share a common purpose and commitment to the LIHD mission. It is important candidates support a healthy Board culture, which includes:
- Encouraging candid, respectful debate;
- Working cooperatively with the District Superintendent;
- Realizing individual Commissioners have no power: we are all in this together;
- Holding each other accountable for agreed-upon behaviors; and
- Spending time cultivating individual relationships.
In addition, candidates should possess certain qualifications and experience, or be willing to receive training in certain areas once appointed. General qualifications include:
- Being registered to vote in San Juan County;
- Spending at least 50% of your living time per year in San Juan County;
- Familiarity with Public Records Act (RCW 42.56) and the Open Public Meetings Act (RCW 42.30); and
- Understanding of the Powers & Duties of a Hospital District (RCW 70.44.060).
Anyone interested in filling the current Commissioner vacancy should contact a member of the Board or the District Superintendent, Anne Presson, on or before December 14, 2021. The Board will have an initial discussion about candidates and the appointment process at their December 15, 2021 Special Board meeting. Anyone interested should attend the 12/15 meeting, which will be held via Zoom. Information can be found on the website 24 hours in advance of the meeting.
Contact information can be found on the Contact Us tab on the LIHD website. The Superintendent can be reached by cell/text at: (360) 230-9414, or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.